Wednesday 30 July 2014

Mind and Body

Never have I been able to feel the progression of my own strength; but after losing, what feels like, every muscle in my body, working out has become much more rewarding. With the combination of being on maintenance and having an abundance of free time, I've been able to establish a full workout schedule; I feel like Million Dollar Baby (minus an incentivising Clint Eastwood figure) 



As I spend my summer days 'training,' I can feel this desolate body creeping closer to revival; undergoing major reconstruction. I'm having to remind myself that while feeling better, I am still undergoing treatment. (As intensiveness as it is) Either way, whipping this body into shape will be a lengthy commitment seeings how my muscles have become accustomed to minimal movement this past year; accustomed to a temporary existence based solely for biological fighting purposes; as if like a test subject that if dare to fail, would shut down completely.

But while my body is jumping back to normal, my mind has also begun to settle back into routine; recognizing more trivial obstacles in life like the transition to university and future decision-making. Most days I forget about my diagnosis all together, but my monthly hospital visits remind me that I still have a year and a half left to go.

Feeling stronger every day and continuing to breed optimism, despite the lack of Clint Eastwood's motivation,

- Serena Bonneville :)


 

1 comment:

  1. dear Serena,

    I just graduated from a fantastic program called, "livestrong at the "Y", a free 12 week program to help patients regain both physical strength as well as emotional strength; the groups are small and often include things like yoga, zumba, and healing touch. exercises on the equipment are designed to start gently then increase according to each person's attained level. and there is time put aside for the group to share their stories and give/receive lots of support. you can go to the livestrong site, find a contact, and they will tell you which "Y" close to your area participates. the twelve weeks are 2 sessions each week, so you can choose which time frames fit your schedule. hope this is of some help to you - and good luck with getting back into shape. xo, karen

    ReplyDelete