Tuesday 15 October 2013

Chemotherapy Day 3


One's ability to hold on, to love and to build dependence comes easily to us humans. We make connections, not just with people but with surroundings. We become attached to ideas and theories, dreams and desires. The risk of this deep bond we create is that we're never prepared for the breaking of it. We can never fully ready ourselves for the loss of a loved one or the flaw in an idea or the realization of a broken dream. 
However, when these inevitabilities expose a presence in our lives, we, as victims, have no choice but to grow accepting. Whatever the challenge, it’s our job to integrate them into our daily routine and realise that from here on out, life will be different. Normalities will change, habits will evolve and perspectives will adjust.

But we are optimists! And suitably, we must respond to these events with positivity.
Ways of which I’ve responded positively and tactics of integration:

Lymphoblastic Leukemia has no dietary restrictions. After a long list of disheartening news, this tidbit of information gave me my first sense of hope. Not only can I eat whatever I please, but one of my Chemotherapy drugs has a wonderful side affect: Cravings for fatty and salty foods. Not only did the Oncologist inform me of this inevitability, but she also encouraged me to indulge in these cravings. Fan-flipping-tastic news. Although I will in turn receive probable weight gain, I consider the evolvement of this new normality to be quite positive.

Three days into my Chemo, I sit here consumed by social media, while finishing off a family pack of Maynards Swedish Fish and gulping down a Starbucks Vanilla Iced Latte. 

As I try to shutout the negative long term affects of Chemo, I begin to focus on these short term benefits which aren’t looking too shabby. With the help of sugars and fats, I continue to breed optimism.

-         Serena Bonneville :)

9 comments:

  1. Thinking of you, Serena, as you write about your battle. You are strong and courageous - you got this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Serena, my name's Lucas, I'm a friend of your brother's from school. I just wanted to let you know how blown away and inspired I was by your words and the strength behind them. Good luck and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fan-flipping-tastic got me. Hahaha. You're such a cutie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Serena, Your humour and thoughtfulness are inspiring! I will be thinking of you as you go through this. I can still picture your warm smiling face and your spot right in the middle of Socials 10. You are strong and kind and it is incredible to see how you're already using this challenge to inspire those around you. May you know how special you are as you fight this! --Ms. Sneath

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Serena, thank you for thinking of others and sharing your story. You have a huge community of people, including me and my family, thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Serena, you are an amazing writer and a hell of a gal, I know we don't know each other very well but don't worry, there'll be plenty of time to catch up once you beat the crap out of that leukemia. You got this!
    Best wishes, Peter Soda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your humour and positive optimism. Looking forward to reading your future writings on different themes when this present one is old news!

    ReplyDelete